The United States changes the deployment of the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz due to Iranian threats

This Sunday, Christopher miller, Acting Secretary of Defense of the United States, gave the order that the aircraft carrier USS Nimitz modify its deployment strategy and remain in its location in the area assigned to the United States Central Command that includes the Gulf, the Red Sea, the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea, in light of the outlook set by the latest threats carried out by the Islamic Republic of Iran against Donald trump and members of the North American Executive just when the anniversary of the death of Qassem Soleimani, commander of the Quds Forces (international division of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard), after a US operation carried out last year in the vicinity of the Baghdad airport and after the assassination of Mohsen Fajrizadeh, considered the director of the Persian atomic program.

“Due to recent threats from Iranian leaders against President Trump and other US government officials, the aircraft carrier Nimitz was ordered to halt its routine redeployment,” Miller said in a statement.

“The aircraft carrier Nimitz will now remain at its location in the United States Central Command area of ​​operations … no one should doubt the determination of the United States,” the official note added.

On November 28, the US network CNN quoted various anonymous officials as saying that Washington decided to return the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier to the Gulf, with a group of warships, to «provide combat support and air cover with the withdrawal of US forces from Iraq and Afghanistan.

The broadcaster clarified at the time that the decision to return the aircraft carrier to the Gulf was made prior to the news of the assassination of the Iranian nuclear scientist. Mohsen Fajrizadeh in November, near the Iranian capital, Tehran, noting that “the movements of US forces are a major deterrent message to Iran.”

The determination to return Nimitz to the Gulf came a week after the United States Central Command announced the deployment of a new air force to the Middle East, including the B-52 aircraft, with the aim of ‘deter aggression and reassure America’s partners and allies“According to the official statement of the US Army.

Iran has repeatedly vowed to take revenge on the specific individuals responsible for the materialized actions against Soleimani and Fajrizadeh. That would include President Donald Trump and other top US officials.

Ismail Qaani, the new head of the Quds Forces after Soleimani’s removal, threatened the United States with even direct references to possible acts of terrorism on US soil in connection with the deaths of Soleimani and Fajrizadeh. “In all parts of the world you could find a man” who is willing to “punish those responsible,” Qaani said.

The United States has responded to these threats in multiple ways. The North American country has sent a guided missile submarine to the Gulf and has also flown B-52 bombers over the region as a warning to Iran not to carry out any act of revenge on the anniversary of Soleimani’s death.

However, on Thursday, the president of Iran, Hassan Rohani, repeated the threat of revenge, and the Iranian media portrayed General Qassem Soleimani as a hero of Iran and the Islamic world.